[okfn-discuss] new brand, new website: coming up next week

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed May 7 13:39:26 UTC 2014

Dear Sam,

As per my response just now to Pierre and Rayna I've delayed a bit in
responding to because I wanted to give some space for the online community
discussions plus the tagline discussion. At the same time, I did want to
follow-up with you so herewith a belated response!

I’ve commented re identity in a separate mails so won't say as much here
but will focus on some of your points re the website. I'll comment
specifically below but first, let me say that the website will necessarily
be a work in progress, so all feedback here is good. I should also note
that there is a process that you can use to give feedback on the site - not
required as list is also fine! -
http://wiki.okfn.org/New_Website_Feedback_Process

On 16 April 2014 14:37, Samuel Goëta <samgoeta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,

[snip]

> To me, the new okfn.org (besides already what was already expressed on
> identity):
> - does not explain *what Open Knowledge actually is*! Stating the
> summarized open definition on the homepage would be a good thing.

Good point. I note this was also true of the old website so I think we
haven’t made it worse but there is an opportunity to make this better.

> - *emphasizes* too much on *services* offered by OKF Central

We’ve tried to simplify the front page here in terms of links and menus
(we’d got to point on last site of having 10s if not 100s!). We can think
about how we correct the balance here.

> - does not present any of our *projects* (what we do is part of what we
> are): CKAN, School of Data, Public Domain Review, Open Spending, Open
> Definition, Open Data Index, Textus… I could not find them on the new
> website!

They are at the same URL as before http://okfn.org/projects/ I know this is
not linked from the front page at the moment but one issue we’ve had
regularly reported re the old site was people being overwhelmed by the
number and diversity of projects. As such we want to think through how best
to present this info - and we haven’t finalized that yet (thoughts
welcome!).

> - is actually quite good in the last section to *explain the benefits* of
> open knowledge

Glad to hear :-)

> - misses *action calls* besides just signing up to the newsletter

Good point. Do you have any thoughts on what the best call(s) to action
would be here?

Can we discuss about the website issue at the next community call?

We have discussed this now a bit on both of the last dedicated calls and
there will be an opportunity for more discussion I'm sure.

Rufus

> Thanks

Thank-you :-) I know folks are busy and its is really great to get feedback
here critical or otherwise :-)