[okfn-discuss] Open Knowledge tagline

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 8 18:39:55 UTC 2014

On 8 May 2014 16:02, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:

> Addendum: I should clarify something that relates a lot to communication…
> I thought about it for a moment and realized that I would not have bothered
> responding or re-emphasizing my dislike for the tag-line if the message had
> been simply "we're still working to come up with a replacement, please
> help" and that was that. I would have seen the continued presence of the
> current tag-line as a totally passive

Very good point, and that should have been the clearer message: "We're
working to come up with something better, please help - and in the mean
time because we don't yet have replacement decided on we're leaving it as
is in the interim"

> situation: retained purely by nobody taking action to change it yet. It
> was the positive assertion of *deciding* to keep it in the interim that
> changed that and made me feel like responding.
>
> I think being conscious of the distinction there is a big deal and it
> reflects a lot of people's concerns. The feeling is different when
> decisions are made pro-actively. In other words, the decision process and
> communication here are major issues. It isn't merely the specific wording
> or content.

Understood. Right now we'd really like to see more thoughts and suggestions
if people have them. The material collected via Heath's allourideas poll
has been great as have been the suggestions already there but more ideas
(and discussion thereof - what's good, what's bad, what could be better!)
would be great.

Rufus

> Thanks,
> Aaron
>
> --
> Aaron Wolf
> wolftune.com
>

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Laura,
>>
>> With all due respect, I suggest that NO tagline is an improvement in the
>> interim. "See how data can change the world" is worse than any other
>> suggestion anyone has offered. It doesn't even emphasize the openness of
>> the data or the change being positive let alone address the issue of
>> broader scope for OK. In other words, it does more harm than good. It is a
>> net-negative tag-line. It will turn more people away from OK than it will
>> bring, I suspect.
>>
>> Thanks for hearing me out,
>> Aaron
>>

>> --
>> Aaron Wolf
>> wolftune.com
>>

>> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org> wrote:
>>

>>> *Hi everyone, It’s been great to see the discussion about taglines here
>>> on list and in the recent calls. There’s not been a clear consensus on a
>>> good alternative tagline yet, so we’re going to be using the following for
>>> now: Open Knowledge: see how data can change the world We’d like to
>>> continue seeking a better alternative though! There’s some notes on what a
>>> tagline needs to do, and a list of alternative ideas, plus suggestions for
>>> how groups could customise some taglines for their own activity on the
>>> wiki:
>>> http://wiki.okfn.org/About_the_Open_Knowledge_brand/tagline_discussion
>>> <http://wiki.okfn.org/About_the_Open_Knowledge_brand/tagline_discussion>
>>> Please do add your ideas and thoughts there, as well as discussing on list.
>>> It would be great to see some further exploration of the options there, and
>>> to gather other new ideas for the tagline too. In a few weeks, when
>>> everyone’s had a bit more time to reflect, we’ll come back to the list on
>>> the wiki and work out a shortlist. Things to think about: - Is this a good
>>> description of what we do and what we want to achieve? - Is this compelling
>>> and catchy? - would it be clear and catchy on a poster or sticker? - would
>>> you wear it on a T shirt? - Is this understandable and compelling to
>>> someone who does not know about “open”? - Is this short enough? Thanks for
>>> all the ideas so far, Laura*

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.