[okfn-discuss] [od-discuss] Open Definition 2.0?

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Oct 7 00:22:35 UTC 2014

There aren't any intended changes in meaning. The upgrade effort started at
least 2.5 years ago, possibly before -- one message is
https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-January/000096.html -- in
order to make explicit some things that were implied -- make the definition
more fully understandable by just reading the definition, not also having
access to annotations or years of analysis of the Open Source Definition
from which the OD derived.

I have been pretty involved in the process and ran it during 2013. I
realized communication with broader OK and other communities was a problem,
noted in http://opendefinition.org/2013/12/28/od-2013/ (search for "regular
updates"). I admit to doing a less than halfway job on this item.

I'm glad if people are upset at not having more notice about the upgrade
effort, as that's an indication the definition is important for all. I
agree
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/02/13/protecting-the-foundations-of-open-knowledge/
think one most important role for it has been providing a foundation for
OK's other activities, keeping it on a fairly good path. :)

I see that Herb, the current OD chair, just posted about going forward, so
I'll stop here.

Mike