[okfn-discuss] [od-discuss] Open Definition 2.0?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Oct 7 08:50:39 UTC 2014

Just adding to Herb's comments - and I note the formal announce re the OD
is planned for today. (I also note the new version of the OD is already up
on the opendefinition.org site)

On 7 October 2014 01:26, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <tom at okfn.org.br> wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> unfortunately I don't have time to read it in details, but I can check a
> broader community. From your previous e-mail, I understand changes are just
> details.
>
> If by public discussion you mean a specific mailing list about the OD, OK,
> I tend to have another approach. Since several groups and organizations use
> the OD as a principle to build their projects, maybe, at least,
> okfn-discuss and okfn-local-coord should be consulted before a final
> statement, because here we have, I guess, the main hubs for a more
> crowdsourcing work.

So I think there are a few points to be made here:

A. As Herb and Mike emphasized the process has been running for some time

B. There are no substantive changes (the text has been reworked a lot but
there are no substantive changes to the principles)

C. In terms of reach-out and consultation: the Open Definition Advisory
Council do have representatives from many communities to help ensure that
there is good input (disclosure: I'm on the AC). At the same time I want to
emphasize that all AC members are volunteers and give generously of their
time - the chairs in particular (Mike and Herb) have done a huge amount.
Anyone on the OD list (including Aaron) could have emailed around to their
lists (and mea culpa to me here too) so this isn't just something for the
Council. I think the AC both had limited time/resources and thought that as
this had been discussed on the public mailing list (and blogged on the OD
blog) for 1y+, those who wanted to know or comment could have done.
Nevertheless I think it is definitely a learning that we should try to do
more emailing around in advance.

> I leave you and the board with this suggestion, no necessity to follow.
> I'll try to look a bit more often the public OD mailing list to see if I
> have time to consult the Brazilian community in a next opportunity, if I
> see it's necessary.

That would be great and it would be fantastic to have people help out with
translating the new version.

Rufus

> @Mike: thanks for your explanation in the following e-mail. [1]
>
> [1] https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/2014-October/010607.html
>
> Tom

> Everton,
>>

>> Thank you for your note.
>>
>> Many parties rely on the Open Definition. Anyone is welcome to join in
>> the discussion which is public and occurs on od-discuss.
>>
>> The Open Definition Advisory Council is responsible for maintaining and
>> developing the definition.
>>
>> We can't know all of the parties individually so we reach out to the
>> groups we are aware of and rely on others who have a specific interest in
>> the Definition to join in on the public discussion.
>>
>> The new version of the definition was discussed publicly on od-discuss
>> over a period of 9 or so months.
>>
>> As chair of the advisory council, I feel that the process was given an
>> appropriate amount of time and that sufficient opportunity was provided for
>> feedback and collaboration.
>>
>> Mainly the changes were to make the language clearer and to separate the
>> conditions relating to licenses from those relating to works but please do
>> read it to see the changes for yourself.
>>
>> If after reading the definition, you would like to propose changes to the
>> definition I would encourage you to post your proposal on the od-discuss
>> list.
>>
>> If you have suggestions on how to improve our process, we would be happy
>> to receive them on the od-discuss list as well.
>>

>> Herb Lainchbury
>> Chair, Open Definition Advisory Council
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <
>> tom at okfn.org.br> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> In my opinion, important changes of the open definition (OD) should be
>>> sent to the *okfn-discuss* and* okfn-local-coord *mailing lists, since
>>> a lot of our is based on the OD.
>>>
>>> If that was not the case (I cannot check if there is some relevant
>>> improvement now), I kindly ask for we have some extra time for we check
>>> with our local collaborators at the open knowledge network for a proof
>>> reading.
>>>
>>> If we don't have time for some reason and there is some substantial
>>> change that affect all of us, well, patience.
>>>
>>> Tom

>>> --
>>> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
>>> Open Knowledge Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
>>> http://br.okfn.org

>> --
>>
>> Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
>> 250.704.6154
>> http://www.dynamic-solutions.com
>>

> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> Open Knowledge Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
> http://br.okfn.org

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.