[okfn-discuss] Open Knowledge Festival 2015 - Location Thoughts

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Oct 8 16:49:54 UTC 2014

I’m not sure whether it would be productive for OKF to ignore who it actually is in favour of what it would like to be. While, during the past couple of years, it aspires to be a global org, my perception is that it’s very strongly European in terms of numbers. In effect, OKFestival is a regional thing for Europe: US has TCamp and CfASummit; LatAm has AbreLatam and HHBA, etc.

Wonder if OKI has good data on the actual make-up of the community?

Also, criteria are interesting. Here’s a few:

* Travel cost for the expected participants (it’s better to do stipends for a few then for average costs to rise).
* Getting visa (a minus for Schengen, apparently)
* Infrastructure: direct flights, hotels & hostels (Berlin is no good at airports, but still easy to get to)
* Strong community that can support the OKF-UK team (which I think OKF has in LatAm more than Africa, for example)
* Cost

Cheers,

- Friedrich