[okfn-discuss] GNU GPL non-conformant with Open Definition?

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:46:24 UTC 2014

stef,

It is a known fact that the point behind the OD text was to *include* the
GPL, so the fact that the text seems problematic is *absolutely* an issue
of being out of line with the intention. There is no question about this.
There is no need to check about whether there's some special intention
behind the particular wording. *Nobody* who worked on the OD *intended* to
exclude the GPL's requirement that unmodified redistributions include the
modifiable source.

I still stand by what I said before: We *should* update this, but the the
current OD v2 does *not* exclude particular terms merely because they are
omitted. It does not say that the written list of acceptable and prohibited
clauses is a strictly complete list.

Cheers,
Aaron

--