[okfn-discuss] Your input for the requirement process Executive Director Open Knowledge

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Fri Mar 20 17:36:30 UTC 2015

Dear all,

this is an update on the recruitment process for the Executive Director for Open Knowledge.

In short: The search team has received a lot of really good applications! A short list with the most promising candidates was created. The final rounds of interviews have just been conducted this week. There will be some follow up negotiations and decisions to take place over the next days, but hopefully the new ED will be on boarding very, very soon.

Please find below a little more of context.

All the best
Daniel

We (myself as the  nominated representative for "the community" in the search team) asked you (the community) to feed into the recruitment process to short-list candidates to join Open Knowledge (International) as Executive Director with both a suggestion of questions and of a presentation topic.

Some of you helpfully suggested a number of questions to be included in candidate interviews. These have been addressed in part during Perrett Laver's interviews to create the short list, with a strong focus on involvement of the community, candidates experience of engaging with volunteers and networks, their approach to leading and supporting staff, as well as a community of volunteers and experts.

These aspects have been probed further at formal interviews over the last weeks. The panel has covered a number of broad areas that address the majority of questions suggested by the community, including: Visionary and Strategic Leadership; Organisational and Managerial capability; Open Data Experience; Fundraising; External Representation and Partnership Development; as well as candidates' Values and Personal Qualities.

The presentation topic the interview panel settled on was the following "You are invited to pitch to a foundation such as Omidyar or Open Society for a three-year grant to support Open Knowledge. In doing so, please ensure you outline a clear vision, strategy and direction for the organisation. You are free to present in whichever format is most comfortable.”

We feel this presentation topic was a good choice as it provided candidates the opportunity to address a number of points raised in the community consultation document, particularly around the candidate's impressions on the OK strategy and their vision for the organisation; future directions of the organisation; and how to work the community and a broad variety of partners and stakeholders.

More on the process can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ewWm70eDf-pELBtC6Wd8YzcRR1ppf-oAUwjWbZ_fkrA/edit#

--
Daniel Dietrich, co-founder & chairman
Open Knowledge Foundation Germany