[okfn-discuss] What "elections" News Challenge proposals excite you?

Steven Clift clift at e-democracy.org
Fri Mar 20 14:51:36 UTC 2015

As I cross-posted this across a number of communities with different
interests, I thought I'd share back what people shared.

** NCDD-Discussion:

Tim Bonnemann :

I'm tracking proposals in these areas:

*  Collaborative fact checking
*  Civil civic discourse and bridging partisan divides
*  Policy making and issue-based learning
*  Community engagement capacity building and infrastructure

Here's my growing list:

http://www.intellitics.com/blog/2015/03/19/knight-news-challenge-entries-related-to-voter-information-and-policy-making/

Andrew Rockway:

Here's the Jefferson Center's:
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/up-for-debate-ohio-empowering-voters-and-media-through-civil-substantive-political-engagement-in-the-nation-s-most-contested-electoral-battleground

The project focuses on using citizen deliberation and dialogue to help
direct media coverage of the campaign/election.

Angela Andrews:

I’m new to the NCDD listserv, but since we’re highlighting News
Challenge proposals, I wanted to bring your attention to the “Voter
Information; The Legislative Role” proposal that was submitted by my
colleague’s in NCSL’s Election Program.

See the proposal here:
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/voter-information-the-legislative-role

Tyrone Reitman:

It was a pretty incredible outpouring of ideas today, closing in at
almost 1000 (600 or so just today).  Here's Healthy Democracy's
proposal to integrate online engagement with in-person deliberation
via the Citizens' Initiative Review to inform voters about ballot
measures.

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/closing-the-ballot-measure-information-gap-with-citizens-initiative-review-online-mobile-engagement

** Brigade:

Derek Eder:

We just proposed a Politician Reconciliation Service that will act as
a canonical source of identifiers in order to enable others to
research and aggregate all the data ever created about a politician.

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/politician-reconciliation-service

Pretty excited for DataMade to partner with Sunlight Foundation & Open
Elections on this one.

John C. Osborn:

Code for America submission

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/open-disclosure-california-connecting-people-to-their-local-campaign-finance-data

** LibertationTech:

Joe Hall:

(Disclosure: I'm on the board of CVF)

This is one I hope you'll all check out (although California-centric)
that is a collaboration between the California Voter Foundation, Pew's
Center on the States, and Google's Voter Information Project:

A Unified Voter Guide for California Voters, Online
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/a-unified-voter-guide-for-california-voters-online

** Poplus:  (join in btw: http://bit.ly/poplustech

James McKinney:

Awesome!

Any other entries people are excited about? I've noticed:

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/politician-reconciliation-service

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/politifilter-understanding-what-the-world-s-politicians-are-saying-about-your-issues

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/councilmatic-versions-of-opencongress-for-city-governments

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/crowd-sourced-calendar-of-independent-election-events

More from James:

Just found a few others mentioning Poplus, specific components, or
Poplus members:

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/everyvote-university-increase-voter-turnout-in-student-and-local-elections-by-leveraging-social-media

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/the-promise-fact-checker-crowd-checking-campaign-promises

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/yoquierosaber-org-http-yoquierosaber-org-online-platform-that-seeks-to-inform-voters-about-the-proposals-of-argentine-presidential-candidates-engaging-with-them-through-an-interactive-game-and-seeking-to-create-public-debate-about-the-proposals

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/virtual-electoral-observation

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/who-do-we-elect-web-platform-with-presidential-candidates-their-personal-and-professional-information-and-main-electoral-programme

Martín Szyszlican:

Congreso Interactivo is involved in 7 of them.
The one I mentioned earlier and the following. Some of them are with
Poplus partners and other don't mention Poplus explicitly but I think
will be benefited by the growth of our ecosystem.

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/yoquierosaber-org-http-yoquierosaber-org-online-platform-that-seeks-to-inform-voters-about-the-proposals-of-argentine-presidential-candidates-engaging-with-them-through-an-interactive-game-and-seeking-to-create-public-debate-about-the-proposals

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/map-your-stake

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/citizen-springboard-the-leap-from-the-civil-to-the-political-society

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/the-promise-fact-checker-crowd-checking-campaign-promises

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/playing-musical-chairs-el-juego-de-las-bancas

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/elections/entries/data-based-games-to-help-with-candidate-selection

Abrazo!
Steven Clift  -  Executive Director, E-Democracy

* Support E-Democracy. Pledge drive to raise $10,000 US:
      http://e-democracy.org/donate?ft  - Only $890 to 2015 Goal