[okfn-discuss] Proposing a new working group on Open Innovation

kshitiz khanal khanal1990 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 04:40:28 UTC 2015

Hello everybody,

We have many working groups here including those in open sustainability,
design, data, spending, and more.

Do you think it will be make Open Knowledge better if we had a separate
working group on *Open Innovation*? After all, innovation is a buzz word in
today's world in all fields. Disruption, Democratization, Demonetization
happening all over places.

Open Innovation is in line with Open Knowledge's vision of *enabling people
to work together to tackle local and global challenges*.

Innovation, though cross-cutting by definition, is a powerful concept on
its own. Innovations happen everywhere in multiple forms, and this may make
a case that innovation will be covered in all other groups separately.
However, a very interesting thing is that numerous innovations follow
similar patterns.

Process of innovation (mostly) begins with problems, happens with thinking
out of the box or thinking  of different boxes entirely, and making the
thoughts real and seeing magic happen (not to forget the hard parts like
persevering, critical thinking).

Let's discuss whether having a separate working group will help the cause
of Open Knowledge better and whether we really need a new working group in
Open Innovation.

Regards,

Kshitiz Khanal
Open Knowledge Nepal