[okfn-discuss] Proposing a new working group on Open Innovation

Duncan Edwards D.Edwards at ids.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 17:49:33 UTC 2015

Hi Kshitiz,

Great idea! Just a couple of thoughts:

“Do you think it will be make Open Knowledge better if we had a separate working group on Open Innovation? After all, innovation is a buzz word in today's world in all fields. Disruption, Democratization, Demonetization happening all over places. “
It is indeed a pervasive buzzword and “open innovation” a pervasive buzz phrase and as I’m sure we’ve all seen in lots of different fields in putting the term “open” in front of anything ☺. Given the amount of focus on innovation it would probably be useful to develop much clearer conceptual understandings of what is meant by open innovation.

·         what do we mean by “open” in the context of innovation?

·         How do we understand a distinction between invention and innovation? (maybe this is not necessary?)

·         How do we understand the relationship between innovation and open artefacts (data, source code, information)?

·         What do we understand of the relationship between innovation and the “openness” of processes and people?

·         Which forms (scientific and global vs/complementarity of indigenous, local and tacit) of knowledge tend to be valued and brought to bear in “open” innovation processes?

Perhaps, if we’re able to be conceptually sharper, we’ll be better placed to give significant meaning to it and draw value from it rather than it simply being just another buzzword or fuzzword.

Cheers,
Duncan
Duncan Edwards
Programme Manager - Research & Evidence Component, Making All Voices Count
Institute of Development Studies, Brighton BN1 9RE, UK
Charitable Company No. 877338
Global Knowledge for Global Change
email: d.edwards at ids.ac.uk<mailto:d.edwards at ids.ac.uk>  tel: +44 (0)1273 915797<tel:%2B44%20%280%291273%20915797>
fax: +44 (0)1273 621202<tel:%2B44%20%280%291273%20621202>
Skype: duncan_ed1
Twitter: @duncan_ids<http://twitter.com/duncan_ids>
Bio: http://www.ids.ac.uk/person/duncan-edwards