[okfn-discuss] Creating a Universal Content Liberation tool

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 23:54:22 UTC 2015

Mike, thanks a lot for the detailed comments (and follow-up).

> The https://indiewebcamp.com/PESOS (Publish Elsewhere, Syndicate (to your)
> Own Site) pattern is also somewhat similar but ongoing syndication rather
> than export/import, but you mention syncing below, which maybe makes it a
> superset of syndication and export/import?

Yes, this looks very relevant, especially in terms of pre-existing
code for some sites.

> Another concept that I don't know anyone has made any attempt whatsoever to
> tackle is a universal "personal Digital Asset Manager" which would include
> integration with wherever a user wants to publish, and wherever user wants
> to save stuff from.

*nod* The more we go into asset management, the more it becomes
challenging from a user experience perspective to really build
something compelling (you'll want stuff like easy tagging, awesome
search, shiny galleries, broad format support, possibly transcoding,
etc.).

I think the first release would just let you grab data from a bunch of
sites for personal download as a proof of concept. Then we could add
support for some repos with nice APIs and limited complexity (e.g.
archive.org). Stuff like Wikimedia Commons which may require metadata
editing & selection would come later.

I'm starting to use
http://wiki.okfn.org/Universal_Content_Liberation_Tool as a
scratchpad, hope that's an OK use of the OK wiki ;).

> Don't know if/how I can help but quite interested in the idea.

I'm going to play a bit with http://electron.atom.io/ to get a first
POC going and we can take it from there.

Erik