[Okfn-en] Upcoming Open Knowledge/Open Data events at the ODI in London

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 16:32:21 UTC 2013

testing testing 1...2...3....  *crackle*

Unless I'm mistaken I'm the first to post to this new okfn-en mailing list. So...  Hello England!

( I got an email from Joris on Oct 25th talking about the merger of the mailing lists. It looks like ok-london, ok-cambridge, ok-oxford, open-science-ox have been decommissioned and we're all on this list instead. The email had a password. Probably a good idea to login and change it )

Anyway I'll kick things off by announcing some upcoming events. These are all in London, and all at the Open Data Institute in Shoreditch:

This Friday 1st Feb. Lunchtime.  A little talk by Jonathan Raper about Open Transport data, his campaigning work, and the work placr.co.uk are doing. (part of series of Friday lunchtime talks)
http://www.theodi.org/events/byo-friday-lunchtime-lectures-how-can-open-data-revolutionise-your-rail-travel

The Saturday & Sunday 2nd/3rd.  -  OpenStreetMap hack weekend. Find out more and get help with your map technology challenges, as well as meeting the developers who are working on improvements to OpenStreetMap. (Also note pub action on the Friday and Saturday)  We've had OSM hack weekends before, but this is shaping up to be the  biggest yet: http://bit.ly/osmhackfeb2013

Finally...  (and organised directly by the OKFN)

Friday 15th & Saturday 16th Feb - Open Research Handbook Sprint.
The Open Research Data Handbook aims to provide an introduction to the processes, tools and other areas that researchers need to consider to make their research data openly available. Join us for a book sprint to develop the current draft, and explore ways to remix it for different disciplines and contexts.
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/01/16/open-research-data-sprint/

Hope to see you at some of these!

Harry Wood