[OKFN-EN] Your country needs you: #FloodHack this Sunday!

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 17 08:44:58 UTC 2014

Hi Jack,

This is great. There are also plans to have a focus on Flood data at the
London Open Data Event this coming Saturday, see:

http://en.okfn.org/open-data-day-2014/

Rufus

On 14 February 2014 21:03, Jack Townsend <jack at jacktownsend.net> wrote:

> *From: *Joshua March <josh at conversocial.com>
> *Subject: **Your country needs you: #FloodHack this Sunday!*
> *Date: *14 February 2014 20:54:24 GMT
> *To: *<open-sustainability at lists.okfn.org>
>

> Hi guys,
>
> The government called a meeting today with a number of major UK tech
> companies to discuss what the tech and developer community could do to help
> with the flood crisis engulfing the UK.
>
> As part of this, the Environment Agency agreed to open up real-time data
> on flood levels/status, mapped across the UK, so that developers can
> utilize the data for free (at least for the next three months).
>
> We're organizing a hackathon THIS SUNDAY in Shoreditch, London, to build
> apps on top of the data to try and help people keep up to date with the
> issues in their area (or areas they're traveling to), and get the data they
> need on how they can get help, how they can volunteer etc.
>
> There are more details below, and on the hackpad page:
> https://hackpad.com/UK-Flood-Help-February-2014-QFpKPE5Wy6s
>
> This is obviously super short notice, but an amazing opp to build
> something that could actually help thousands of people. Google have agreed
> to host it, and will be sending developers, as will Facebook, Microsoft and
> many other start-ups in the area (including my own).
>
> Please spread the word, and come down if you can make it!
>
> ---
>
> Calling all developers!
>
> We have been hit by the worst flooding and weather the UK has seen in our
> lifetimes. Getting the right information to people about the problems
> affecting particular areas, and the right places to turn to help (or for
> information on how THEY can help volunteer) is crucial. The government has
> near real-time data on flooding levels and alerts, mapped out across the
> entire country, which they want to put to the best possible use. Following
> a meeting called today at Number 10 with leading technology companies, the
> Environment Agency, the Government Digital Service, the Open Data Institute
> and the Cabinet Office are working to open up this data to the public for
> the next three months, allowing developers to build innovative applications
> that can help those affected by the flooding.
>
> This Sunday at 10am, join developers from Google, Facebook, Twitter,
> Conversocial, Datasift, Mother, Taskhub and more for a hackathon, hosted by
> Tech CityUK at Google Campus in Shoreditch, where the Open Data Institute
> will share the flood level data with developers and be on hand to help
> throughout the day. The Cabinet Office will be choosing the most useful
> applications demoed on the day to be promoted to flood victims across the
> country.
>
> Please register for the hackathon here<http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/flood-hack-appeal-tickets-8102754557>
> .
>
> Your country needs you!
>
> ------

> [...]

*Rufus PollockFounder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock <https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>The Open Knowledge
Foundation <http://okfn.org/>Empowering through Open
Knowledgehttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on Facebook