[OKFN-EN] UK opendata census

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Mar 20 10:37:47 UTC 2014

On 18 March 2014 18:20, Andrea Raimondi <raimondi.and at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  as you might know from Rufus the open data census<http://gb-city.census.okfn.org>is online. I've completed the census for Nottingham and some other cities
> are about to start or already started (Cambridge, London, Sheffield..).

Great to see the info on Nottingham Andrea! We're starting to get some
reasonable coverage but it would be great to get more:

http://gb-city.census.okfn.org/

Also we're on the lookout for folks interested in being reviewers and
helping to check submissions and generally give advice to submitters. If
you're interested just ping on or off-list :-)

> You can contribute as I did, working on your own, finding data around and
> adding them to your city's slot. However, please consider to involve
> citizen's participation.
>
> Indeed, the ODcensus can be seen as a very simple and basic tool to
> organise hackathon accessible to all citizens, no matter if they don't have
> dev skills, and spread the value of opendata for local communities -which
> is the aim of the census.

I think this is a great point - you don't need to be a coder or data
wrangler to contribute. Just an internet connection and a bit of search
engine skills!

I also think there is a way that we can take the census beyond simple
tracking to actually doing something with the data. For example, if budget
or spending data for a city is listed as available then we could provide
instructions on how to turn that into a small local budget app using
OpenSpending.

> During the international open data day in London the italian setup<http://it-city.census.okfn.org>for the same census has been prepared. Maurizio Napolitano (one of the OKFN
> ambassador for Italy) is doing a great job and lots of cities and local
> communities have started to fill the census.

The Italian results so far are very impressive! We need to catch-up ;-)

Rufus