[OKFN-EN] UK Census - public toilet data

Gail Ramster gail.ramster at network.rca.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 13:34:14 UTC 2014

On 27 Mar 2014, at 12:56, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Gail Ramster <gail.ramster at network.rca.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I've made a list of all the councils that provide open data about their public toilets, with links and the format that each is it, as part of our project to map toilets, but I don't think toilets are part of the census. Is there anything useful that I could do with this? I remember the idea of a topical census been mentioned, could this be a candidate?
>
> Best wishes
> Gail
>
> If this could be extended to an app which did location and opening hours of toilets I think it could be massive.

That's the dream! - I started asking for toilet data in 2011 and we made The Great British Public Toilet Map (greatbritishpublictoiletmap.rca.ac.uk) to show what existed. We've done very little with it since 2012 but just got 6 months of funding from Nominet Trust so are having another stab at it.

Here's a link to the data that I do have (via a blog post) in case anyone would like a look

http://gailknight.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/open-data-councils-part-3/

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics