[OKFN-EN] UK Census - public toilet data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Mar 28 17:31:42 UTC 2014

First, a big welcome Gail. This is a really interesting project.

On 27 March 2014 12:39, Gail Ramster <gail.ramster at network.rca.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi
> I've made a list of all the councils that provide open data about
> their public toilets, with links and the format that each is it, as part of
> our project to map toilets, but I don't think toilets are part of the
> census. Is there anything useful that I could do with this? I remember the
> idea of a topical census been mentioned, could this be a candidate?

In fact toilets were considered a candidate for the city census but didn't
make it in as a standalone dataset to the current list of 15. I do note
that one could consider them under "Public Facilities" which is defined as:
"Location information about various Public facilities such as schools,
parks, hospitals, daycare etc". This is a somewhat flexible category (not
perfect) and one could consider toilets under there (though perhaps with
other key information).

It is also possible for us to add new datasets to the census - the only
challenge is a) UX (we run out of space on the front page!) b) we run the
risk of suddenly adding lots of different datasets. (We could run a
specific topical census too - what would be the topic? Perhaps it could
focus on key locational information (?)).

Even if we didn't add this is a *really* interesting and useful dataset and
great example of civic data in action - and at the very least we could
perhaps start a UK Local Data section on http://datahub.io/ for info like
this.

Rufus