[OKFN-EN] Invitation to Hack-ney-thon 2014

Caroline Heron heron.caroline at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:21:02 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm writing to invite you to a hack weekend we (MiniBar London) are running
on behalf of Hackney Council on 15&16 November at the newly opened Trampery
Old Street. We are working closely with council staff to release some data
via GitHub in advance and on the day we will have some APIs and tools from
tech partners Mongo DB and Twilio. It's shaping up to be a really fun and
interesting event and it would be great to see some of you there.

Here's the link to RSVP:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hack-ney-thon-24-hours-to-hack-for-hackney-tickets-13752641521

And here is a link to the GitHub: https://github.com/LBHackney and for a
bit of information, an adjoining Wiki
https://github.com/LBHackney/Hack-ney-thon/wiki

Very best
Caroline

--

Caroline Heron
Event Co-ordinator

*MiniBarLabs*w: http://minibarlabs.com/
e: heron.caroline at gmail.com
m: 07769977216

Hack-ney-thon
24 Hours To Hack For Hackney

**Call for participation and ideas**

15 November & 16 November
The Trampery Old Street, home of the Publicis Drugstore

On behalf of Hackney Council, MiniBarLabs invite you to take part in a
special hackathon and be in with the chance to be crowed the 'Hackney
Hacker'.

The borough is the proud home of much celebrated tech talent and so we are
reaching out to you – tech start up, software developer, or tinkerer - for
creative and innovative ideas, hacks and software solutions. We’re want to
hear your thoughts or current projects that you’d like to work on during
the hack. Ideas can range from council processes, to the use of data, the
overall design and usability of the council’s website, or other hacks that
contribute to life in Hackney borough.

Please send any ideas you have to hello [at] minibarlabs.com and to
participate please make sure you have registered here.

In preparation for the hack, we have gathered together a list of issues,
tools and datasets that could be worked on / used:

   - One strand of focus for the council is in mapping the local area. The
   council is committed to meet the specifications of the EU’s INSPIRE
   Directive (Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community
   – http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/). Through their work they have developed
   several tools such as; Map.Hackney2.0; MapGallery; Plan Web and the
   resident facing Find My Nearest (
   http://www.map.hackney.gov.uk/Find-My-Nearest/) – an interactive mapping
   tool using council, OpenStreetMap and Ordnance Survey data. For our hack
   the council’s Geographical Information Systems (GiS)
   <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackney.gov.uk%2Ffg-gis-hackneygis.htm%23.VFjpaRalnyw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE231rqQDTXu_qTiRRRceHN9JY3Xg>
team
   have put together a special GitHub
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FLBHackney%2FHack-ney-thon&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGPT1K2LiB_57_nRIT2b8u0ppIl0Q>
with
   lots of data on local services and planning. You can find out more about
   their interactive map projects
   <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackney.gov.uk%2Ffg-gis.htm%23.VFjpoxalnyw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHYSIeKSMhM1sUx9CS3itxo6dNkLQ>
    here.
   - To go along with this data the planning department have written up a
   special challenge for astatutory notices app
   <http://minibarlabs.com/hack-ney-thon-new-challenge-statutory-notices-app/>
   .
   - Also council staff in Registrars and Commercial Properties have drawn
   up another few threads listed here
   <http://minibarlabs.com/hack-ney-thon-24-hours-to-hack-the-council-better/>
that
   they would like to work on, Namely; a wedding community site (‘Hitched in
   Hackney’), an email management system and a booking system
   - Richard Pope from Government Digital Services has kindly put together a
   great list of interesting guides, tools and related projects for
   Hack-ney-thon
   <http://minibarlabs.com/richard-popes-top-tips-for-hack-ney-thon/>, all
   of which are available to use.
   - Tech partners Mongo DB and Twilio will provide APIs and access to
   tools during the hack.

The council is committed to adopt working solutions, to commission, or to
promote them.

To register for the event RSVP and if you have specific ideas and proposals
please send them to hello [at] MiniBarLabs.com

Hack-ney-thon Schedule

09.30 Registration
10.30 Welcome from Hackney Council and event partners

11.30 Break and set up of groups

12.00 Hack-ney-thon starts - groups will work in sets of 4 or 5 on specific
challenges. Note: where fitting we will match groups with council personnel

13.00 Our City <https://ourcityproject.wordpress.com/> will make a short
presentation to the group on their ‘Give a day for Hackney’
<http://ourcityproject.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/give-a-day-for-hackney-tech-mentoring-pilot-launches/>
pilot;
a mentoring programme that aims to support third sector organisations to
identify and address their tech and business needs

12.00 Hack-ney-thon ends
13.00-15.00 Presentations
15.00-16.00 Day concludes with group presentations and the best solution
will be awarded the grand title of ‘Hackney Hacker’. Drinks to follow.

Delivery Partners: Publicis Drugstore, Poke, The Trampery Old Street
Tech Partners: Twilio, Mongo DB (More TBC)
Outreach Partners: TechCity UK (More TBC)