[OKFN-EN] Upcoming event in London: Sharing, Reusing, Recycling: the Web in the Circular Economy

Jack Townsend jack at jacktownsend.net
Thu Oct 9 17:11:46 UTC 2014

http://www.meetup.com/Cleanweb-London/events/192254052/?a=ea2_grp&rv=ea2

Sharing, Reusing, Recycling: the Web in the Circular Economy
Monday, October 27, 2014
7:00 PM

Shoreditch Works Village Hall
33 Hoxton Square, N1 6PB, London

As part of the international #ThinkDif festival, in association with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, this month we'll be digging into the role of the Web in the circular economy. Our fantastic panel will explore how digital technology and big data can help connect our industries together better so we can share, reuse, and recycle?

As ever, afterwards will head to the pub.
9pm, Electricity Showrooms, 39A Hoxton Square, London, N1 6NN

Event starts at 7pm. As an excellent optional introduction to the circular economy, prior to the event at 5pm, try and catch the #ThinkDif festival presentation by the grandfather of circular economy thinking, William McDonough.

Chair: Rob Maslin, Founding Director, We All Design
Rob's work has always put human beings at the centre of design, redefining the problem and finding solutions with an open ended approach. With a background in product design, his work mostly involves addressing environmental and social challenges using service design.

Marko Balabanovic, Innovation Director, Connected Digital Economy Catapult
Marko a creative technology leader with over 20 years of experience developing innovations in academia, corporations and startups. Most recently Marko led the technology team at the fast-growing London startup State, launching a global opinion network. Previously, Marko was head of innovation at lastminute.com and Travelocity, improving innovation culture across the European organisation as well as forming the lastminute.com labs team to develop novel products.

Louise Armstrong, Senior Sustainability Advisor, Forum for the Future
Louise is working with Technology Strategy Board, the UK’s innovation agency, on how they can enable the shift to a circular economy (more here). Part of Forum’s System Innovation Lab, focussing on experimental collaborative projects, everything from Fashion Futures, FutureScapes to latest Circular Economy Investigations. Obsessed with the nexus of where technology, culture and sustainability meet.

Mark Shayler, Founding Director, Ape
Mark has over 20 years experience leading the way in eco design and the circular economy. He has worked with some of the worlds most successful mega brands. He is founding partner of Do Lectures, author of the book Do Disrupt, a Design Council Design Associate, a WRAP technical advisor.

Daniel O'Connor, Warp It
The Warp It vision is to be a network for organisations where buying new is the last resort and nothing is wasted. Where reusable items are redistributed for their 2nd and 3rd useful lives, and when the items fail they are diverted into repair. Daniel O'Connor launched Warp It in 2011 after he saw 200 good condition office chairs in a skip. The system allows staff  to get give and loan surplus assets within and even between organisations. Astra Zeneca, Oxford University, Central government, the NHS, City of London Corporation and over 2000 charities and schools are using the system to collaborate on resource use. Customers have achieved a total of 2 Million in procurement savings, £184,000 in charitable donations, 20,000 tonnes of supply chain waste and 796 tonnes of Carbon emissions have been avoided.