[okfn-help] openMilton

Iain Emsley print.crimes at yatterings.com
Tue Aug 12 13:28:51 BST 2008

Dear Rufus,

You read my mind on this and I was going to test something and post
tonight but you've beaten me to it... :)

What I was going to suggest is that I create the Milton text package
and the Milton templates and effectively supply a patch to the core
Shakespeare code. Effectively you could transform the shakespeare code
into "openLiterature" (since open Text I think has gone or is too
close to another project) with the shksprdata file just called data.
Then all we need to do to extend it would be to provide the packages
of authors with a readme, the text files and template files for the
guide and any changes one wishes to make.

At that point all the user need do is drop the relvant packages in the
data and
templates, run db create, db init and paste serve your-name.ini and
one running project (well, you need to install it first)!

I think that would also fulfill the componentization part of the Open
Knowledge (though the ref currently escapes me - sorry).

Just so you know I'm currently looking at the idea of using LinkedData
[1] to provide machine interfaces if somebody does use this on a
webserver. Okay, I also wanted to explore how the web of data/data web
can be used to serve Open Knowledge projects. I'm curious to see if it
can lead somewhere meaningful. I was hoping that if we can
find/develop a framework of ancillary texts/audio/video for
consumption / generation. Any thoughts (apart from it could become
Frankenstein's monster.)?

Perhaps an IRC meeting would be useful, not just for this but also the
Text Mining stuff that's begun to sprout. I think that there are a
load of avenues that could be explored and it would be useful to
create a public roadmap.

All best,

Iain
[1] http://events.linkeddata.org/iswc2008tutorial/