[okfn-help] Changes to open Milton text

Iain Emsley print.crimes at yatterings.com
Mon Dec 8 12:44:52 GMT 2008

Afternoon,

Can we consider the following text for the Milton front page?

" Welcome to the Open Milton web interface. This site provides access
to many, but by no means all, of the facilities of the Open Milton
package. For example you can:

     * Read a variety of texts (prose, poems etc) as well as ancillary material
     * Analyze text or word statistics
     * Search any text

More information on using this web interface can be found in the guide.

Why Open Milton

If you type 'Milton' into Google you find thousands of websites why do
we need another? First off, unlike most other sites, everything you
find here is open ? that is you're free to use, reuse, and
redistribute it without any need to seek permission.

However, more importantly, this website is only a small part of what
we're about. It serves to demonstrate what you can do with the Open
Milton package ? a set of material and tools for exploring Milton's
life and work. The website demonstrates a few of the ways in which the
Open Milton package can be used. We actively encourage you to take and
modify it to do things we haven't yet done ? or even thought of! Some
suggestions:

     * Prove William Blake's assertion that Milton was "of the Devil's party".

     * Explore his speech for the freedom of the presses, the
Areopagitica, is still relevant.

     * Our statistics are crude and simple. Perhaps you'd like to
search for which words are most popular in Paradise Lost?
"

In the guide template, can we swap hamlet_gut to paradise_lost? I
don't know if it's worth taking the multi-view out as we don't have
variations of texts in the files (AFAICS anyhow) - although I suppose
if you wanted to view separate parts of a text to compare them, it
could be useful.

--

Iain Emsley

Blog: www.yatterings.com