[okfn-help] CKAN questions...

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Mon Jul 7 13:04:01 BST 2008

Hi Jonathan, Hi Rufus,

Thanks for doing the system updates so quickly. I'm taking it easy today
cos I did a fair amount of work on CKAN/datapkg over the weekend. :-)
Got lots done, still one of two niggles though (esp.: tags are breaking
the datapkg ckanregister command and its causing a 500 error; the recent
changes log entries are blank; etc.).

Jonathan Gray wrote:
> Congratulations on hitting the new milestones with CKAN/datapkg! I
> just thought I'd quickly scribble down a few questions I've been
> wondering about CKAN...

Thanks!

>  * If there any way I can generate a list of tags with the number of
> packages that use that tag? This could be used to generated tag coulds
> weighted by package...

Not immediately at the moment. But is this something you will want to do?

(It would be quite easy to use the ckanclient to get the list of
packages, then get each package, and count packages per tag.)

>  * Is there any way that (now or in planned developments) I can do
> faceted browsing by tags? E.g. to click on 'uk' then click on
> 'statistics' to find all packages with both tags 'uk' and
> 'statistics'? I guess after clicking 'uk' one would have to display
> all other tags associated with the relevant packages?

Not very readily at the moment. But is this something you will want to do?

If these are valuable stories (not my call!) we can plan to develop
support for them. The second one will take a bit more chewing than the
first.

> Anyhow - I've started dumping CKAN related notes at:
>
>   http://okfn.org/wiki/ckan

Great. :-) Have a nice day.

Best wishes,

John.