[okfn-help] Milton and Shakespeare

Iain Emsley print.crimes at yatterings.com
Thu Jul 17 20:57:52 BST 2008

Dear all,

I've had a thought about the Shakespeare and Milton projects and their
direction and wanted to bring this to the list, as Rufus and I have sort
of been talking about this recently.

Do we want to make the architecture of the project as generic as
possible and then offer "packs" of the data files (with the texts and
ancillary folders with the metadata file) for individual authors for
users to download and install? I think this would allow for differing
groups to use the project for their own purposes.

As an addition, two things strike me.

Firstly, should we also have an upload form where collaborative groups
can link in their own essays and notes under the OKD?

This leads me to thought two. In a couple of recent conferences, the
idea of small repositories linking to each other and offering interfaces
for search and linking (effectively combining both vertical and
horizontal search) has come about although has yet to be explicitly
discussed. I was going to propose that my next thing to do is to look at
creating an XML sitemap interface for search engines and also to look at
an RDF interface to enable future Semantic searching.

I'd like to start looking at the second idea through August to see if it
is feasible and to experiment with it, if nobody has any objections.

ATB,

Iain