[okfn-help] Milton and Shakespeare

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Jul 19 19:14:45 BST 2008

On 17/07/08 20:57, Iain Emsley wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've had a thought about the Shakespeare and Milton projects and their
> direction and wanted to bring this to the list, as Rufus and I have sort
> of been talking about this recently.
>
> Do we want to make the architecture of the project as generic as
> possible and then offer "packs" of the data files (with the texts and
> ancillary folders with the metadata file) for individual authors for
> users to download and install? I think this would allow for differing
> groups to use the project for their own purposes.

I think this is definitely the way to go :)

> As an addition, two things strike me.
>
> Firstly, should we also have an upload form where collaborative groups
> can link in their own essays and notes under the OKD?

Absolutely though we might want to just set up a wiki on knowledgeforge
and link to that from the web interface.

> This leads me to thought two. In a couple of recent conferences, the
> idea of small repositories linking to each other and offering interfaces
> for search and linking (effectively combining both vertical and
> horizontal search) has come about although has yet to be explicitly
> discussed. I was going to propose that my next thing to do is to look at
> creating an XML sitemap interface for search engines and also to look at
> an RDF interface to enable future Semantic searching.

Sounds great. I don't know whether the 'Open Search' is of any interest
here (http://www.opensearch.org/).

> I'd like to start looking at the second idea through August to see if it
> is feasible and to experiment with it, if nobody has any objections.

Sounds excellent. Look forward to seeing what develops and helping out.

~rufus