[okfn-help] [okfn-discuss] openShakespeare on Windows

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Mar 17 10:45:47 GMT 2008

Some info below that I hope is helpful. By the way for this technical
type stuff we should probably move to okfn-help [1] so as not to overly
clutter up okfn-discuss.

~rufus

Iain Emsley wrote:
> I'm just trying to run openShakespeare on a Windows XP box but keep getting:
>     File"<stdin">, line 1
>     bin/shakespeare-admin runserver
> 				  ^

Have you been able to run other cmdline stuff e.g.

$ bin/shakespeare-admin about

If you get the same error with this then try:

$ python bin/shakespeare-admin runserver

You see the thing is that windows does not recognize the unix convention
for specifying what program is used to run a script. At the beginning of
that file you have

#!/usr/bin/env python

which tells the machine to run this using python. However windows does
not recognize this (I believe) and so you need to run the script using
python explicitly:

i.e. by doing

python <my-script-name>

> I've reloaded the egg file but still get the error. Any ideas? Do I just
> need to change a path or something similar as Python is a new language to me?

By the way for the runserver command to work you'll want to have
installed with the web_gui option:

easy_install -Z shakespeare[web_gui]