[okfn-help] Open Literature

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 23 17:00:31 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Iain Emsley
<print.crimes at yatterings.com> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> Just a quick note to say hi, I'm still around.

Good to hear :)

> I've been quietly working on the Genshi templates and have nearly got them
> to pass W3C validation. I think I need a small tweak to finish it up but its
> showing the RDFA now.

Great. I've been doing a bit of work on refactoring the core code to
be more generic though quite a bit more work is needed.

> My next thing was to look at the parsing engine for the formatting to try
> and tweak it to play nice with XML and perhaps add in some TEI formats to
> identify who is speaking a line so that you could run a machine reading
> query against it and call up, for instance, all of Titania's speeches. Is
> this worth doing in the scheme of things? I'm going to try and play with
> microfacts soon for Milton.

This would be great. I'd note that there is already one marked-up
version of the shakespeare texts at:

<http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/examples/shakespeare/>

BTW We already have code to grab this at:

<http://knowledgeforge.net/shakespeare/svn/trunk/shksprdata/getdata/moby.py>

At this point though what I think we really want to focus on is
getting openmilton up and running asap. This will also iron out/force
us to fix the system we have now to support a less shakespeare-centric
setup.

Regards,

Rufus

PS: I've registered openmilton.org by the way ...