[okfn-help] ckan FAQ.

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Dec 18 10:05:23 GMT 2009

Thanks for your feedback - see comments below.

>>> Why does searching for "crutem" not find the package called "crutem3"?
>>> Lame.

Yes substring search would be nice, but even Google doesn't appear to
do this. (Googling "site:ckan.net crutem" gives 0 results.).

You might have quickly found this package by searching for 'CRU', 'met
office', 'climate', 'temperature', 'hadley centre', 'university of
east anglia' or derivatives of these words, so it could be worse. For
this particular package I agree that crutem is a key word associated,
so I added it to the tags. Perhaps we should encourage our users to
help improve the searchability of the data in this way?

>>> What order are search results in?  Example, searching for "temperature"
>>> gives the package results in no particular order (that I can determine).

The default search result order is 'relevancy', the same as Google.
There are options to change the results order and don't doubt that
Nick is looking at surfacing these in the UI.

David