[okfn-help] KForge community development

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Fri Jul 24 13:10:37 BST 2009

John Bywater wrote:
>> Looks good and I think this is ready to go.
>
> Thanks Rufus! Excellent to hear. The Call For Participation has been
> scheduled for Monday 3 August.

I've drafted a Call for Participation (below).

How does it look to you? I would welcome comments about overall style,
missing or over-laboured points of information, and (most of all) how to
make it as compelling as possible.

Best wishes,

John.

Subject: Call for Participation in KForge Club

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION IN KFORGE CLUB

http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/KForgeClub.html

PURPOSE
The purpose of KForge Club consists in sustaining the KForge project.

At this time, the key objectives are: to complete KForge v1.0 software;
to sustain the KnowledgeForge.net service; and to host this club.

SCHEDULE
Monday, Aug 3  2009 - Call for Participation
Monday, Aug 17 2009 - Call for New Proposals
Monday, Sep 14 2009 - Call for Interest
Monday, Oct 12 2009 - Call for Agreement

BACKGROUND
For the last 4 years the costs of developing KForge have been borne by
the Open Knowledge Foundation and the Appropriate Software Foundation.

In order to support the development of KForge into the future we are now
creating a software club as a mechanism for sharing the costs of
development and guiding that process. We should emphasize that KForge
will, of course, remain open-source software.

PARTICIPATION
Membership is free of charge. Members are involved in an active process
of sharing common proposals.

Members are invited to submit new proposals, and to comment on new
proposals submitted by others. The club will then qualify the proposals,
and publish a prospectus containing qualified proposals. Members will be
asked to evaluate the benefit of each proposal, and to indicate the kind
of contributions they can make. Possible shares of the cost of each
proposal will be discussed, and conditional agreements drafted. A call
for agreement is made. Proposals that reach consensus are actioned.

Information on how clubs work is published on the club tutorial page.
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/ClubTutorial.html

ABOUT US
The Open Knowledge Foundation is ...

The Appropriate Software Foundation is ...