[okfn-help] kforgeproject.com login?

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Thu Jul 30 22:42:25 BST 2009

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> 2009/7/30 John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net>:
>> http://www.kforgeproject.com/participate/
>
> Excellent -- you've really improved the text.

Thanks, glad you like it!

>>> PS: I think we should deprecate the kforgeproject.com site in favour of:
>>>  a) blog posts on blog.okfn.org
>>>  b) the kforge trac (for general project info)
>>>
>>> See <http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/71>
>> Yes... I was thinking about this. I agree about the blog posts, and I agree
>> about putting general project info on the Trac wiki. I mean, much more use
>> could be made of the Trac wikis....
>>
>> Yet, on reflection, firstly, kforgeproject.com site is top in Google search
>> for "kforge"....
>
> We'll always implement 203 permanent redirects (we'll never just 404 the site!)

Sure, but I reckon we should keep the site, improve the content, and
then try to sort out the service execution.

How much time is spent upgrading wordpress?

>> And secondly, in my analysis there is still a value in having a collection
>> of pages that cluster the concerns of a software project in a familiar form.
>> That's pretty much as we have it on kforgeproject.com:
>
> I agree the question is how/where we do  this. The options are:
>
>   1. <http://knowledgeforge.net/kforge/> (or
> <http://knowledgeforge.net/project/kforge/>)
>   2. <http://www.okfn.org/kforge/>
>   3. A dedicated domain, e.g. http://www.kforgeproject.com/ (running
> on wordpress)
>   4. Our trac install at <http://knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/>
>
> Having now had some experience here my feeling is you want to minimize
> the number of different places you have to maintain stuff and the
> number of different apps you need to run. By moving this "central"
> location elsewhere be it trac, www.okfn.org we can eliminate one whole
> wordpress install that needs to maintained, upgraded etc etc.

Glad we agree! There seems to be two decisions: what sort of website,
and where is it located. The best place seems to be kforgeproject.com,
since it is well established. However:

1. The okfn.org/kforge location is the original wiki page and does the
job of declaring the project, and pointing to the project website. So we
might as well leave that alone?

2. Also, the knowledgeforge.net project page doesn't seem to satisfy the
requirements. But it's probably best that way, because it makes a good
admin page for project services. Changing it means changing KForge,
which seems wrong. It's just an admin page!

3. Trac is very flexible, and I'm sure we could bash it into a nice
project website. But it would take non-trivial effort to make it also
work as a good tracker. We could also serve the reworked trac site from
kforgeproject.com.

Apart from the wordpress upgrades, the current site would only need to
be updated when there is a new release, or some other news. But then
it's a small and enjoyable part of the release work.

So I'm for holding on the technology, and for putting effort first into
clarifying the content of the pages. Perhaps we can start bending trac
into shape after, and then switching CMS?

(BTW, wouldn't a blog post on kforgeproject.com be one good place to
post the call for participation?)

> It's not that it looks bad -- just a desire to cut down on the number
> of "home pages" we have for a given project.

I can only see one kforge project home page. There are other pages from
other services that are related, but e.g. if there was a kforge flickr
page it would be a flickr account home page, but it would just be
another project service.

I reckon the function of the project website is to present the services,
and to hide the total complexity. It can be done with the pattern I
mentioned.

>> It would be nice automatically to republish OKF blog posts about KForge on
>> the KForge project site, but could we link to a tag on the main blog for
>> now?
>
> Yes, what we want, for example, is to pull in some of those posts as
> news items on trac.

Yes, maybe something will reveal itself? :-)

Bye for now,

John.