[okfn-help] kforgeproject.com login?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jul 30 17:14:08 BST 2009

2009/7/30 John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net>:
> Rufus Pollock wrote:
>>
>> You've already got an admin account on there:
>>

> Oh thanks, I'd forgotten! I've adjusted the page, see what you think?
> http://www.kforgeproject.com/participate/

Excellent -- you've really improved the text.

[...]

>> PS: I think we should deprecate the kforgeproject.com site in favour of:
>>  a) blog posts on blog.okfn.org
>>  b) the kforge trac (for general project info)
>>
>> See <http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/71>
>
> Yes... I was thinking about this. I agree about the blog posts, and I agree
> about putting general project info on the Trac wiki. I mean, much more use
> could be made of the Trac wikis....
>
> Yet, on reflection, firstly, kforgeproject.com site is top in Google search
> for "kforge"....

We'll always implement 203 permanent redirects (we'll never just 404 the site!)

> And secondly, in my analysis there is still a value in having a collection
> of pages that cluster the concerns of a software project in a familiar form.
> That's pretty much as we have it on kforgeproject.com:

I agree the question is how/where we do  this. The options are:

  1. <http://knowledgeforge.net/kforge/> (or
<http://knowledgeforge.net/project/kforge/>)
  2. <http://www.okfn.org/kforge/>
  3. A dedicated domain, e.g. http://www.kforgeproject.com/ (running
on wordpress)
  4. Our trac install at <http://knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/>

Having now had some experience here my feeling is you want to minimize
the number of different places you have to maintain stuff and the
number of different apps you need to run. By moving this "central"
location elsewhere be it trac, www.okfn.org we can eliminate one whole
wordpress install that needs to maintained, upgraded etc etc.

> Home/News Page
> Get Involved/Community Page
> Documentation Page
> Download Page
> About/Features Page
>
> It's a very common pattern, the nicest software project websites all share
> these elements, and I think the KForge project is stronger for it. I've
> added a link from the club page to the project website.
> http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/KForgeClub.html
>
> So if we do want to change it, perhaps we can do the blog posts as you
> suggest, use the Trac wiki more. But if we don't like the current website,
> then rather than just removing it, we could reformat the content to look
> like these:
> http://appropriatesoftware.net/domainmodel/Home.html
> http://appropriatesoftware.net/provide/Home.html

It's not that it looks bad -- just a desire to cut down on the number
of "home pages" we have for a given project.

> It would be nice automatically to republish OKF blog posts about KForge on
> the KForge project site, but could we link to a tag on the main blog for
> now?

Yes, what we want, for example, is to pull in some of those posts as
news items on trac.