[okfn-help] kforgeproject.com login?

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Thu Jul 30 14:47:05 BST 2009

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> You've already got an admin account on there:

Oh thanks, I'd forgotten! I've adjusted the page, see what you think?
http://www.kforgeproject.com/participate/

> Rufus
>
> PS: I think we should deprecate the kforgeproject.com site in favour of:
>   a) blog posts on blog.okfn.org
>   b) the kforge trac (for general project info)
>
> See <http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/71>

Yes... I was thinking about this. I agree about the blog posts, and I
agree about putting general project info on the Trac wiki. I mean, much
more use could be made of the Trac wikis....

Yet, on reflection, firstly, kforgeproject.com site is top in Google
search for "kforge"....

And secondly, in my analysis there is still a value in having a
collection of pages that cluster the concerns of a software project in a
familiar form. That's pretty much as we have it on kforgeproject.com:

Home/News Page
Get Involved/Community Page
Documentation Page
Download Page
About/Features Page

It's a very common pattern, the nicest software project websites all
share these elements, and I think the KForge project is stronger for it.
I've added a link from the club page to the project website.
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/KForgeClub.html

So if we do want to change it, perhaps we can do the blog posts as you
suggest, use the Trac wiki more. But if we don't like the current
website, then rather than just removing it, we could reformat the
content to look like these:
http://appropriatesoftware.net/domainmodel/Home.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/provide/Home.html

It would be nice automatically to republish OKF blog posts about KForge
on the KForge project site, but could we link to a tag on the main blog
for now?

John.