[okfn-help] KForge community development

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 15 17:15:01 BST 2009

2009/6/13 John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net>:
> John Bywater wrote:
>>
>> Rufus Pollock wrote:
>>>
>>> Also do we want to record such proposals formally, e.g. on the main
>>> okfn tasks trac?
>
> I've written the proposals into the SoftwareClub wiki page.
> http://wiki.okfn.org/SoftwareClub

Looks good. I'd note it ends up quite similar to the layout of our
standard project template, e.g.

<http://www.okfn.org/microfacts/>

Perhaps we can merge these conceptually (for example this club which
is focused on KForge could merge with http://www.okfn.org/kforge/).

> The proposals can be published in a prospectus when stable. I guess there
> could be a wiki page per prospectus, for example:
> http://wiki.okfn.org/Prospectus2009Summer

I think we should try keep things pretty short and focused so let's
keep this kind of think in the club page, at least at the start.

>> Yes, I reckon they can be recorded there. But please note that there are
>> several entities and associations that I'm trying to boil down into a domain
>> model. Not least: "a prospectus has a collection of proposals". :-)
>
> Regarding proposals, prospectuses, etc, I've sketched domain model for
> software clubs. There's a UML class diagram (and nice text description)
> under the heading "Domain Model" on this page:
> http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/ClubTutorial.html

This is really nice, especially the top diagram.

> Prospectuses refer to their proposals. Proposals need to refer to the issues
> they resolve. Clubs need to refer both to the proposals they register, and
> to the prospectuses they publish. Approvals need to refer to prospectuses
> (and probably individual proposals). Hosts and members need to calculate
> levels of approval and reports on progress, so doing this on a wiki might
> not scale. :-)

I think we can afford to go fairly light on "process" until we
actually get some members involved.

After all I'd imagine our main, and toughest, tasks is finding members
willing to contribute "resources" -- be that time, money, energy etc.