[okfn-help] KForge community development

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed May 6 11:44:25 BST 2009

Looks really good. Comments inlined below.

2009/5/5 John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net>:
> Dear all,
>
> For sometime, Rufus and I have wanted to develop further the KForge
> community, and to extend the sponsorship of the development work to
> include others beyond the Open Knowledge Foundation and the Appropriate
> Software Foundation.
>
> Hence, I propose to undertake a few initial steps:
>
> 1. Merge the kforge-dev and kforge-user lists.

+1

> 2. Encourage a thread on okfn-help regarding KForge community development.

+1. I suggest that this will work best once we have done 5.

> 3. Propose and build consensus on an incremental and iterative process
> of encouraging other sponsors to invest.
>
> In respect of Task 3, I also propose:
>
> 4. To establish a software club [1] for KForge (and perhaps other Open
> Knowledge software), to be called "KForge Club" (or perhaps "Open
> Knowledge Software Club") [2].
>
> 5. To write an initial prospectus of proposals of the club, to provide a
> statement of the proposed work, the desired benefits, the expected
> costs, and the reporting of activity.

Great. I would note we already have (though not updated for a while):

<http://www.okfn.org/kforge/>
<http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/>

> 6. To identify and approach the existing KForge (and perhaps the broader
> Open Knowledge) community, to solicit further proposals for KForge
> development, and to solicit cash (and in-kind) contributions to the club.

Sounds great. I think developers and bug-reporters could be as
valuable as those becoming "paying-members" of the club.

> 7. To repeat proposed tasks 5. and 6. each quarter, according to the
> Operational Cycle for Software Clubs [3].

Might make sense to put this bi-yearly but quarterly seems good at the start.