[okfn-help] okfn mailman spam

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 8 11:42:58 BST 2009

2009/5/7 Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org>:
> About half my spam comes from OKFN mailing list owner aliases.

I must be getting some too but it appears my own spam filter trashes
it before I see it.

> Through OSGeo i must be on as many lists and don't get any
> apparent spam through the mailman there.
>
> I read this:
>
>  Privacy Options ... -> Spam Filters.
>
>  Once there you'll see two boxes: one called Spam Filter Regexp:
>  and one called Hold posts with header value matching a specified regexp.
>
>  In the first box select the Discard option, enter the below text
>  and press the Add new item button:
>
>  X\-Spam\-Status\: Yes.*
>
>  http://www.rdg.ac.uk/internal/its/help/its-help-email/mailmanspam.asp

This looks good but who sets the X-Spam-Status header? We don't use
spamassasin or the like on our email server at the moment (logic being
that we leave spam-filtering to end users since we have very few
"users" on the system -- though lots of mailing lists).

> Are we doing much of the anti-spam in mailman now?

No other than we simply discard messages from non-members to the list
(though not as you have pointed out messages to list owner ...)

I am really happy for us to do anything you suggest -- also feel free
to just go ahead and change stuff.