[okfn-help] Multiple download URLs for CKAN

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Nov 18 18:23:01 GMT 2009

(This is perhaps a bit tangential - but I think relevant to our longer
term plan in this area.)

I remember a while ago Rufus mentioned to me the idea of using scripts
(instead of, or as well as URL) to grab material associated with a
package. As well as getting material, I guess these would assist in
automated backups or mirrors. Might the multiple download URLs be used
in such scripts in future?

Re: distributions/resources nomenclature - is this just nomenclature,
or does how CKAN will function somehow depend on what we decide here?
If its just names - what about 'bulk' and 'part' instead of
distribution/resource (which is perhaps less obvious).

I guess another thing to think about is - when there are multiple
versions of a package (e.g. if someone took CSV file and converted to
RDF and wanted to link to it on CKAN) - are we currently planning to
put this on the main package page, or to split into different pages? I
guess my feeling is we want to put on same page until it changes
significantly enough to deserve its own page. Another thing to think
about is forking or packages and dependencies between packages. Do we
have a longer term plan here?

Also - what about textual descriptions in different languages
associated with the same package. I guess most of the metadata will be
the same? This will become something to think about when we have
German version of CKAN.

(Sorry - I've strayed off topic of download URLs, feel free to
disregard irrelevant bits!)

Jonathan