[okfn-help] further to load on us0

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Sun Oct 11 16:45:12 BST 2009

Martin Keegan wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, John Bywater wrote:
>
>>  > Anyway, us0 is looking like less of a crimescene now. We can have the
>>  > "what should kforge look like" discussion later.
>>
>> Good to hear. What do you think KForge should look like?
>
> Hmm, I think the second "look like" in my message above was some sort of
> whimsical echo of the first instance of the words. What I wanted was to
> ask what the current roadmap was, rather than put forward my own view.

It could use some discussion. :-)

> What I am interested to know is how much duplication, if any, there is
> with Alfresco, and what the impact of Google Wave will be on KForge as a
> system with plugins for provisioning various third party tools such as
> mailman and trac.

 From a quick look, Alfresco appears to be a very nice CMS. KForge isn't
at all content management, but rather a service configuration management
system. KForge can adapt content management systems as plugins. KForge
has a Joomla plugin and could have an Alfresco plugin. (Alfresco appears
to be much more like Joomla than KForge.)

OTOH, I expect KForge will never have documents integrated with
Microsoft Office. KForge will probably never attempt to integrate
adapted applications with each other, except through configuration of
the capabilities of the adapted systems (e.g. Trac integration with
Subversion/Mercurial/Git, where KForge allows any of a project's
repositories to be associated with a Trac service).

But I don't know exactly what to say about Google Wave.... I'm sure it
will dissolve many of the current distinctions within the Web
application space, particularly the distinction between publishing and
messaging (?) but I don't see how it will dissolve the distinction which
KForge is folded around: configuration management of small software
services. That is to say, I hope KForge will be able to adapt Wave
applications too.

Jb