[okfn-help] openphilosophy.org

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Sep 4 11:06:21 BST 2009

Hi Rufus,

I'm going to (finally) start a project related to my academic research
- aggregating (predominantly English and German) public domain
philosophy texts, creating a timeline of the history of philosophy,
laying out texts/translations side by side, experimenting with tools
to analyse the texts and so on. Eventually I'd like to be able to spit
out nice PDFs of the text files, to have a go at linking between
texts, creating URLs to link to specific parts of texts and so on.

In the first instance (like many other OKF projects) this will start
out as a blog (for the website), and a repository (for the texts)

I was wondering whether:

  (i) there is any easy way to use the Gutenberg scraping tool from
Open Shakespeare to get texts;
  (ii) you might be able to point openphilosophy.org to:
http://knowledgeforge.net/openphilosophy/blog;
  (iii) you would recommend using Mercurial instead of Subversion for
the repository?

I know you're busy with various things in the next few weeks, but
thought I'd pop you a message while I remember to ask!

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation