[okfn-help] EU AWS Servers

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 23 10:32:04 BST 2010

On 23 August 2010 10:28, William Waites <william.waites at okfn.org> wrote:
>  On 10-08-23 10:07, Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
>> This means I'll migrate the postgres databases on eu3 to eu5 today, which could mean minor downtime or read-only time for the CKAN instances hosted there. Please let me know if you're planning any mayor imports today so we can coordinate.
>
> Recommend several things:
>
>  * Open a ticket on http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks for this migration
>  * Have a hot standby postgresql on eu4, allocate an "elastic IP" for
> the purpose
>     of recovering from a failure, front-ends use this "elastic IP" to
> refer to the
>     database server

One disadvantage of this is that, if I understand AWS pricing
correctly, you get charged through traffic through and elastic IP but
not through internal IPs. However, this cost should be way against the
ease of a hot switchover ...

>  * When the postgresql move has happened, make a new small instance and
>    start moving web front-ends currently on eu3 to there

that's the rough plan though it would be good to wait a little bit to
see if problems are persisting.