[okfn-help] EU AWS Servers

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Mon Aug 23 10:39:34 BST 2010

>> Recommend several things:
>>
>>  * Open a ticket on http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks for this migration
>>  * Have a hot standby postgresql on eu4, allocate an "elastic IP" for
>> the purpose
>>     of recovering from a failure, front-ends use this "elastic IP" to
>> refer to the
>>     database server
>
> One disadvantage of this is that, if I understand AWS pricing
> correctly, you get charged through traffic through and elastic IP but
> not through internal IPs. However, this cost should be way against the
> ease of a hot switchover ...

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing

"$0.01 per GB in/out – If you choose to communicate using your Public or Elastic IP address or Elastic Load Balancer inside of the Amazon EC2 network, you’ll pay Regional Data Transfer rates even if the instances are in the same Availability Zone. For data transfer within the same Availability Zone, you can easily avoid this charge (and get better network performance) by using your private IP whenever possible."

Lets keep it internal, then.

Friedrich