[okfn-help] Some notes about annotator installation issues

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Nov 16 22:12:08 GMT 2010

On 12 November 2010 08:37, Stéphane Klein <stephane at harobed.org> wrote:
> Le 11/11/2010 22:50, Rufus Pollock a écrit :

[...]
>> <https://github.com/nickstenning/annotator-store-py>
>>
>> Please follow the instructions in the README there and let me know if
>> you still run into problems.
>
> Ok, thanks, I've did a test with this git repository.
>
> First suggest : append PasteScript in your package dependency.
>
> After installation and paster server store.ini execution, when I go to
> http://127.0.0.1:5000/annotations/ I've this message in my browser :
>
> « Not Found »

Hmmm. Works on my machine. Can you update to latest code and see if
you still see this?

> Other question : I think annotator is a tools to annotate a web site, how
> can I put my web site below annotator ? Annotator can work like a proxy ?

I'm currently writing an app (using couchdb's couchapps) called
commentonit which allows one to upload arbitrary documents and
annotate them:

<http://commentonit.net/>

Demo document (ignore the horrendous url -- this is very alpha):

<http://commentonit.net/commentonit/_design/commentonit/_show/view/39fc339cf058bd22176771b3e3007639>

Code is here:

<http://bitbucket.org/okfn/commentonit>

> Yesterday I've think about this subject, I've this idea : use a mechanize
> (100% javascript) like http://shakacss.af83.com/ to activate annotator
> feature on any web site. On other side, a server application record
> annotation data… via RESTFul interface…

That would be very cool. If you were up for coding something we could
definitely provide a backend store.