[okfn-help] Mailing list management

Adam McGreggor adam at amyl.org.uk
Tue Nov 30 13:01:09 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 06:52:45PM +0100, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> This is fantastic Adam! I'm cc'ing okfn-help so others can see your suggestions.
>
> Re: (1) below, one thing that I think could be worth doing is trying
> to ensure OKF list members are on the main OKF announce list. Is there
> any obvious automated way of doing this?

There are, yes.

A combination of list_members, find_members, add_members, and,
optionally, some awk is how I might go about that task. A template
mail could be sent inviting people not on the announce list to join.

Or as previously mentioned, using a sibling list.

There is, however, the issue of consent/subscribing people to a list they
didn't do themselves. Before doing anything, it might be worth mailing
the lists concerned, and asking people who *don't* want to be
subscribed to fill out a form, that stashes listname (options, not
freetext)/lower-cased email address/timestamp along with a flag -- to
checking against after a period of time.

> Any chance you might be able to help? ;-)

yes.

--
"There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engineers.
 While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the more certain."