[okfn-help] Removal of page headings ...

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Sep 5 11:40:16 BST 2010

Hi Stefie,

I've been looking through the okfn.org site and see that many pages
have had their main heading removed (i.e. there is no immediate page
title/heading in the main content part of the page). Looking at the
edit logs it looked like this is something you were doing
systematically :)

I'm worried there has been some confusion here :) I had intentionally
disabled (display: none) the default page heading wordpress generates
from the page title and had moved to a situation where the page
heading is created explicitly in the page content (by putting a page
heading in a h1 tag -- usually using markdown so # {page-heading}).

I'd done this for two reasons:

a) Most pages converted over from our previous okfn.org site with
explicit page headings (and therefore displaying wp generated ones
lead to duplication)

b) In the past we've found having explicit page headings approach more
flexible. In particular Wordpress page titles turn up in a bunch of
places (not just the page rendering) and you therefore want
flexibility over the wordpress "page title" and what gets shown on the
webpage.

I've started going through and reverting the changes to restore the
page headings. If you spot any pages also lacking page headings could
also restore the to a previous version where page heading was present
:)

Open Knowledge Foundation