[okfn-help] [okfn-discuss] More on Google Maps

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Apr 23 09:36:41 BST 2011

On 22 April 2011 21:29, Maurizio Napolitano <napo at fbk.eu> wrote:

>> If you (or someone else) could help fix the js so we use OpenLayers
>> and OSM we can have the google map and its proprietary data removed in
>> no-time ...
>
> Ok!
> i checked the code and i can do this without big problems.
> I substituted the gmaps code and i implemented everything with openlayers
> using openstreetmap as background.

<http://de.straba.us/okfn-dashboard/>

Wow Maurizio, this is great. I will integrate your changes immediately
(if you ping me off list i could give you access to the repo so you
can push directly).

> Before to complete the code i suggest some tips:
> - change the code of the data.py to obtain a geojson or a very simple csv
> file (so is more usefull in openlayers)

I was just using the output from geonames geolocation at the moment.
Can probably convert to geojson fairly easily.

> - use this kind of rappresentation
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html
> this is funny because show with differents dimension of balls the
> aggregation of the people that stay in the same place (otherwise there are a
> lot of points overlayed)

Yes, nice.

> - change the marker symbol with some more "okfn-style"

Yes, e.g. the OKF logo!

Rufus

PS: to save on people on inboxes I'm suggesting we move further 'dev'
discussion to okfn-help (also cc'd!)