[okfn-help] [okfn-discuss] More on Google Maps

Maurizio Napolitano napo at fbk.eu
Sat Apr 23 22:11:07 BST 2011

>> i checked the code and i can do this without big problems.
>> I substituted the gmaps code and i implemented everything with openlayers
>> using openstreetmap as background.
>
> <http://de.straba.us/okfn-dashboard/>
>
> Wow Maurizio, this is great.

thanks but the code can be better

 > I will integrate your changes immediately

gulp ... the code was only a preliminary version.
I must work to improve it

> (if you ping me off list i could give you access to the repo so you
> can push directly).

ok!

>> Before to complete the code i suggest some tips:
>> - change the code of the data.py to obtain a geojson or a very simple csv
>> file (so is more usefull in openlayers)
>
> I was just using the output from geonames geolocation at the moment.
> Can probably convert to geojson fairly easily.

Off course
I looked at the python code
In the repository, however, missing the csv file from which the script
create the json file
That's why I haven't tried to change the python code

>> - use this kind of rappresentation
>> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html
>> this is funny because show with differents dimension of balls the
>> aggregation of the people that stay in the same place (otherwise there are a
>> lot of points overlayed)
>
> Yes, nice.

I must investigate more this function :)

>> - change the marker symbol with some more "okfn-style"
>
> Yes, e.g. the OKF logo!

Of course! perhaps with the symbol of a person close

Napo