[okfn-help] Workshops preceding OKCon

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Thu May 5 12:01:48 BST 2011

Hi all

On 04.05.2011, at 12:26, Lucy Chambers wrote:

> Hi Seb,
> Hope you had a nice holiday!
>

>>> Who would be the best person to lead the workshop?
>>
>> It depends on who the audience is.  CKAN users or developers?
>>
>> For the latter, anyone in the dev team who felt like it would be good.
>>  I *might* be able to do a session, though it depends on the day(s);
>> I'm not available at the end of the preceding week, or the weekend.
>
> Ok, if this is going to mirror the WDMMG workshop, then I presume the
> focus will be developers for the pre-OKCon one, but as you point out
> below, there is definitely scope for a users one as well.
>
>>> What topics should be covered at the workshop?
>>
>> For developers: writing extensions, using the API, introduction to the
>> architecture... or perhaps just a sprint, pairing up with core devs,
>> to get volunteers up to speed?
>> For users: user's intro to the API, using groups and tags effectively,
>> introduction to linked data...
>
> Ok, so maybe it makes sense to do both? I will see whether anyone from
> the Dev list would be interested in running the pre-conference dev one
> and then we could organise a user's one at the conference - I think
> users would be more likely to attend that way?
>
>>> Preferred date?
>>
>> It would be hard for me to make anything shortly before the conference.
>>
>> Will there be an opportunity during the conference, or afterwards?

Friedrich just made the proposal to have a dev workshop: 28th for OpenSpending and the 29th for CKAN

I like the idea and would love to see this happening! Also I would need a short abstract for the dev workshop for publication asap.

Yes that would be great! Please go ahead and submit a short proposal via http://okcon.org/2011/submit/