[okfn-help] Open Data Manual - help with git please

Tim McNamara tim.mcnamara at okfn.org
Mon Aug 15 21:39:29 UTC 2011

I'm a bit out of my depth with git submodules and have spent too long
researching with not enough action. Could someone please suggest the
route forward:

Situation
The Open Data Manual has its theme as a submodule. We need to
customise this theme to resolve a few tickets. There seem to be two
possible routes to do this:

1) incorporate the submodule as part of the opendatamanual repo
2) fork the upstream and change .gitsubmodules to point to new repo

1 is my preferred option. It gives us more flexibility to make
wholesale changes if desired.

Problem
I'm pretty intimidated and really don't want to critically break anything.

Is anyone able to help by providing directions?