[okfn-help] How should the OKF talk?

elf Pavlik perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org
Thu Jul 7 22:18:40 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Jonathan Gray's message of Thu Jul 07 17:17:25 +0200 2011:
> (Forking threads...)
>
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> > the evil-proprietary-voip-software-that-okfn-should-be-embarrassed-to-use-and-endorse
>
> Okay - this is a thread to see if we can *finally* figure out what OKF
> people and others should use to talk to each other.
>
> Daniel: I think you were looking into this right?
>
> From my point of view whatever we use should be:
>
>   * easy for anyone to use without too much trouble (e.g. having to
> install lots of stuff)
>   * reliable, stable, etc
>   * scalable - we really need something which can let us have lots of
> people on a call simultaneously
>   * preferably the 'o' or the 'f' word (i.e. non-proprietary)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> J.

Hi,

Few suggestions from my side:
Asterisk - http://www.asterisk.org/
Mummble - http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
BigBlueButton - http://www.bigbluebutton.org/ (very heavy on bandwith and RAM+CPU)

I would try starting with setting up an Asterisk and configuring conference that everyone can connect with SIP client. Some links which can come useful:
http://pspunch.com/pd/article/asterisk_meetme_en.html
http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.HomebrewAsteriskConferenceManager
http://www.asterikast.com/watch.php?episode=4

As client Twinkle works quite well, i also know people using Ekiga, Empathy and few other can also support SIP

Later I would experiment with BigBlueButton which works from the browser but ATM has flash player dependency =(

Cheers!
elf Pavlik

http://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper