[okfn-help] How should the OKF talk?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Jul 8 16:09:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> Is OKF in the business of supporting and endorsing proprietary
> software and closed services? Has OKF spent the time to have more than
> a cursory look at this?

I think the issue is that it costs us nothing to stay with things as
they are. It costs us - in your own estimation - two weeks of
someone's time to look into this, let along set something up.

I'd strongly support a move to more open, reliable, scalable
infrastructure, if someone can find the time to do this! (Presumably
time that would otherwise be spent writing code, or organising events,
or doing other stuff...)

> It may well be possible that an NGO like OKF cannot function without
> closed software and services. If that is really the case then this
> needs to be signalled loudly so that others whose business it is can
> help.

If you have ideas about people we could contact who might be able to
help us sort this out that would be very greatly appreciated!

J.