[okfn-help] OKF Project Proposals form

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 15 12:15:57 UTC 2011

On 15 July 2011 13:08, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can we officially deprecate the OKF project proposal form in favour of
> ideas.okfn.org?
>
> Reasoning:
>
> 1. We should really have all of our ideas in one place. Spreading them
> out means we have them in various different places and some might get
> lost.
> 2. ideas.okfn.org is now linked from the main OKF page as the suggest
> an idea option
> 3. people can comment and question ideas if they come in via the
> forum, they are open so people can see them
> 4. the GDoc is really hard to read as people write so much.

Completely agree. One minor (but important suggestions) for use of
ideas.okfn.org for this going forward (we are already using it):

1. We indicate in the instructions a specific tag people should use to
indicate this is a project proposal (e.g. okfn-project).
ideas.okfn.org has increasingly received a diverse set of submissions
(which is great) but not all of them are about a specific project (but
may just be a random idea from the community).

2. We should give some guidance as to what people should cover when
submitting info for a project proposal to ideas.okfn.org (we already
have this in the form -- I don't think we need all the fields but
perhaps listing them as things that people might cover would be good).

I'd therefore suggest keeping http://okfn.org/projects/propose/ but
just have it be some brief instructions as per the above and a pointer
to ideas.okfn.org.

> I've had a proposal come in to the projects proposal form since OKCon,
> and I'd like to email people back to ask them to move their idea
> across to the incubator.

Yes.

> Does anyone know:
>
> 1. Where the Google Form was posted apart from on the main OKF site so
> I can replace the link with ideas.okfn.org and shut the GDoc down?

Nowhere but OKF site.

> 2. Whether anyone ever got back to the people who submitted project
> ideas before I came along?

Yes we did. We had also formally deprecated the form in favour of
ideas.okfn.org a while back (e.g. 6m ago which is why proposals
stopped coming in there).

Rufus

> All the best,
>
> Lucy