[okfn-help] Are there some indicators defined?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Sep 12 19:19:42 UTC 2011

2011/9/11 J. Félix Ontañón <fontanon at emergya.es>:
> El día 9 de septiembre de 2011 21:01, Rufus Pollock
> <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> escribió:
>> Hi Felix,
>>
>> In terms of objectives we have <http://okfn.org/vision/> and then
>> Individual projects / working groups normally have a roadmap or set of
>> purposes.
>>
>> In terms of measuring success we don't have a set of specific
>> indicators or metrics we use -- personally I'd be cautious in trying
>> to pin down success to a specific metric.
>>
>> While we don't have specific metrics for success we are currently
>> working on a Community Dashboard which will use various measurable
>> things (email volume, commits etc) to give an overview of activity
>> across the Foundation:
>>
>> <http://wiki.okfn.org/Community_Dashboard>
>>
>> Rufus
>
> Hi Rufus,
>
> I didn't know about the Community Dashboard, the mockups looks really
> god. Has it been deployed somewhere?

The most basic version done 6m ago (just a member map) is up:

<http://okfn.org/dashboard/>

None of current "phase 2" has yet been completed to a deployable
state. If you'd like to help in coding this up we'd love help :-) --
see <https://github.com/okfn/okfn-dashboard>

> Well maybe I didn't explain good enough, of course to measure the
> success of a non-profit organization based the objectives could be
> really hard. But when an organization defines some activities,
> campaigns and so on, somethimes they are associated with some of the
> objectives. Then it makes easier to provide some ways to measure "how
> much an activity has helped to get closer to the objective".

Right, understood. I think we would consider things like:

* More open material made available both generally and in specific
areas like science, government data, cultural heritage ec
* Open tools for working with open material (data and content) e.g.
CKAN, annotator
* More communities using and developing open information (e.g. OpenSpending)
* Greater interest and awareness of openness (re knowledge) and its benefits

Rufus