[okfn-help] Multilingual support for OKFN sites?

Kat Braybrooke kat.braybrooke at okfn.org
Tue Feb 28 13:05:49 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

As the OKFN becomes more international, we've been welcoming new regional
groups and chapters to use our Wordpress blogfarm - and several of these
have mentioned having problems applying non-Latin language characters to
our sites. An example of such issues is on our Github here
https://github.com/okfn/wordpress-theme-okfn/issues/14

Charalmpos from the OKFN:LOCAL Greece group (CC'd here) has recommended
that we use a paid plug-in like http://wpml.org which makes it easy to work
with multilingual sites (and has 40 language options). The only problem
with this is that it's proprietary, which we all have qualms about.

There are other options here
https://codex.wordpress.org/Multilingual_WordPress (thanks Rufus) but I'm
not sure which one would be best. Does anyone else have experience with
using multilingual support Wordpress plugins, or an opinion on which one we
decide to use?

Thanks :) Kat

@kat_braybrooke<http://twitter.com/kat_braybrooke>